H  O  M  E          
Theological, Doctrinal, and Spiritual Musing - and whatever other else is on my mind when I notice that I haven't posted in a while.
Blogroll
 
T.U.L.I.P.
  • - Endorsed
  • - Indifferent
  • - Contested
 
I Affirm This
The Nashville Statement
 
Autobiographical
 
Profile
Daniel of Doulogos Name:Daniel
Home: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
About Me: I used to believe that evolution was reasonable, that homosexuality was genetic, and that people became Christians because they couldn't deal with the 'reality' that this life was all there was. I used to believe, that if there was a heaven - I could get there by being good - and I used to think I was more or less a good person. I was wrong on all counts. One day I finally had my eyes opened and I saw that I was not going to go to heaven, but that I was certainly going to suffer the wrath of God for all my sin. I saw myself as a treasonous rebel at heart - I hated God for creating me just to send me to Hell - and I was wretched beyond my own comprehension. Into this spiritual vacuum Jesus Christ came and he opened my understanding - delivering me from God's wrath into God's grace. I was "saved" as an adult, and now my life is hid in Christ. I am by no means sinless, but by God's grace I am a repenting believer - a born again Christian.
My complete profile...
 
The Buzz


Daniel's posts are almost always pastoral and God centered. I appreciate and am challenged by them frequently. He has a great sense of humor as well.
- Marc Heinrich

His posts are either funny or challenging. He is very friendly and nice.
- Rose Cole

[He has] good posts, both the serious like this one, and the humorous like yesterday. [He is] the reason that I have restrained myself from making Canadian jokes in my posts.
- C-Train

This post contains nothing that is of any use to me. What were you thinking? Anyway, it's probably the best I've read all day.
- David Kjos

Daniel, nicely done and much more original than Frank the Turk.
- Jonathan Moorhead

There are some people who are smart, deep, or funny. There are not very many people that are all 3. Daniel is one of those people. His opinion, insight and humor have kept me coming back to his blog since I first visited earlier this year.
- Carla Rolfe
 
Email Me
email
Thursday, November 08, 2007
Pride and Humility, briefly...
This morning in my devotional time with my two eldest we were talking about the difference between pride and humility. My seven year old was having some trouble so I gave this example: I said, if there were only enough food in the house at supper time for one good sized meal, I could come home and eat it all, but the only way I could do that would be if I cared more about myself than everyone else in the house. Pride, I said, shows itself first by this principle: you think your needs are more important than everyone else's needs. I said if I were a humble man, I would not consider my own needs, but would regard the needs of others as more important.

I then explained how we can really miss the boat spiritually speaking if we have only that much information. We may well know that a humble man thinks of others before himself, so that when a situation presents itself we choose to take the "humble" path and go without, but simply doing that is by no means humble, and in fact, it can be just as much a matter of pride as taking all the food. What makes the act humble is the motive behind the act.

The humble man says, I know that God will provide for me even if I have nothing and the rest are fed. My hope is not in myself but in God to provide, and I see this as an opportunity to bring God glory in that He has provided a situation where I can trust him, whether he feeds me or not is not the goal of the trust - but rather to trust that my times are entirely in the Lord's hands and that whether he feeds me or lets me starve, his plan for me is perfect, and I trust in that plan.

A proud man might well give up his portion because that is the right thing to do, and he feels that doing the right thing will give him the biggest benefit, be it personal respect or be it divine benevolence, whatever the case, the proud man is always looking to do what is best for self, which is the difference between himself and the humble man who is not concerned with his own self because he trusts that the way in which God is going to looks after his needs is sufficient, and even preferable to looking after his own needs by himself and for himself.

I struggled with it a little because I wanted to make sure the children understood that humility and pride are not measured by the external action, but rather by whether or not one is trusting in God or in self.

Labels: ,

posted by Daniel @ 9:00 AM  
4 Comments:
  • At 11:04 PM, November 08, 2007, Blogger David said…

    This is one of the toughest subjects to deal with. You did it well, you should be proud. Wait, I'm missing the point. Really, the more I learn about humility, the more I know I'll never have it.

     
  • At 11:05 AM, November 09, 2007, Blogger Daniel said…

    I am just glad that someone is still reading my blog now that I am a multicellular organism on TTLB.

     
  • At 2:02 PM, November 09, 2007, Blogger Marcian said…

    Daniel, I applaud you for going the extra mile and talking about the heart attitude. I'm sitting here feeling convicted about it, because I know that I am probably the worst of anyone in this area. It's so obvious to me (thank the Lord for THAT, at least). If ever there was a "thorn", this would be it... whenever my heart forgets its true place before God, the fact that my own right hand cannot save me, that's when things get baaaad.

     
  • At 2:16 AM, November 16, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Great post for kids AND adults. I remember, as a new believer, when I first read in Scripture that God knows our motives. I was pretty paranoid there for awhile. And convicted to search my own heart for why I was doing what I was doing, why I was thinking specific thoughts.

    I really appreciate your explanation of the APPEARANCE of humility, without true humility before God. Well said, in my humble opinion...

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
 
Previous Posts
 
Archives
 
Links
 
Atom Feed
Atom Feed
 
Copyright
Creative Commons License
Text posted on this site
is licensed under a
Creative Commons
Attribution-ShareAlike 2.5
License
.